Django Unchained

I am not a fan of Quentin Tarantino, so when my husband wanted to watch this movie – I just rolled my eyes and kept reading my book.  But, to my surprise, it wasn’t too bad and it actually had a storyline that captured my attention.  But let me say – if you’re familiar with Tarantino’s work – then you know what to expect.  The movie ran long – 165 minutes!!  In one sense, I felt it was an over-written, over-acted and over-the-top miniseries that dragged on for an hour too long.  The music was odd, the language would probably turn most people off and if it didn’t, the violence would.  Tarantino’s movies are not butterflies and cotton candy – he usually comes in with hard core, hit you in the face, punch you in the gut type of films.  This one delivers all that.  Lots of blood splattering everywhere in gun fights, tons of the “n” word, and lots of depictions of abuse to slaves - but that’s what this movie is about.  It’s about slavery, it’s about the plantation owners who bought and sold slaves and their lack of being treated as humans.  But, aside from the bottom line . . . it was an entertaining film, as odd as that may seem.  Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz stole the show.  They did an outstanding job and I absolutely loved their characters and how they played them.  They were the best part of the movie.  This could’ve been a really good western had he wanted to go that way but for what it was . . . I actually did like it a lot!

(Just an F.Y.I. - Christoph Waltz won an Academy Award and a Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Supporting Role and Quentin Tarantino also won an Academy Award and a Golden Globe for best screenplay for Django Unchained among other awards).


No comments:

Post a Comment