The Shawshank Redemption

So, I didn't really watch any new movies this weekend - instead, I found myself watching a marathon of The Shawshank Redemption.  I can't believe how many people have never seen or have never even heard of this movie!  It's one of my all-time favorites and really can watch it over and over again.  I see something new every time!  It’s based on a Stephen King novel, but isn’t like what I normally think of when I think of his books – it really surprised me.  Andy Dufresne is a banker accused of killing his wife and her lover and is sentenced to life in prison.  He also claims his innocence from the very beginning.  Most of the movie centers around the friendship of Andy (Tim Robbins) and Ellis "Red" Redding (Morgan Freeman) while in prison and takes you through many ups and downs through their almost 20 years of serving time together.  It's a completely different life than Andy is used to and he must learn to adapt if he's going to make it all work for him - and adapt he does!  Just when you think you have it all figured out, there are HUGE twists and I still remember the first time I saw it - I had NO idea what was going to happen after one of them!  I wish I could write about all of them, but don't want to have spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.  It's not fancy, nothing blows up, there aren't any big special effects - it's just a smart, incredibly powerful movie about hope and not giving up.  As the tagline says, "Fear can hold you prisoner.  Hope can set you free."

No comments:

Post a Comment