Cobra Kai, Seasons 1 & 2

Rated TV-14
30 minutes / episode
Starring: Ralph Macchio, William Zabka, Xolo MaridueƱa

I was excited when I heard about this series, but not too excited, because I didn’t want to get my hopes up and be let down.  As a fan of the original film, I was not let down at all – it was GREAT!  The story is basically showing what the characters from the original Karate Kid movie are doing now – 35 years after the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament where Daniel LaRusso beat Johnny Lawrence for the title.  Johnny’s life has pretty much fallen apart and it all seems to go back to the day he lost that tournament.  Daniel’s life looks like it’s the complete opposite – almost perfect and goes back to him winning that day.  When Johnny witnesses a kid being picked on and helps defend him, he gets the idea to get his life back on track by opening up his own dojo and reviving Cobra Kai, helping all of the outcasts learn to fight and defend themselves.  He’s also grown and matured over the years, realizing that “There’s a difference between no mercy and no honor.”  He’s not the jerk he was in the original movie and the lessons he’s teaching are more positive than he learned from Sensei Kreese, who shows up for the second season.  I usually don’t like shows that go back and try to “replay” the same types of scenes from the past, but this was different – IT WAS GOOD!!!  I was transported back to 1984 – in the present!  This one definitely exceeded my expectations!!!!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment