King Richard

Rated R

2 hours 24 minutes

Starring: Will Smith, Jon Bernthal, Saniyya Sidney, Demi Singleton

I didn’t know if I would like this or not – and almost didn’t even watch it.  Tennis isn’t something I follow very close, but like most people, had heard of Venus and Serena Williams.  I like Will Smith and decided to give it a chance.  I’m glad I did!  The story focused more on the girls’ father, Richard Williams (played by Smith), and how he was able to take his girls from the ghettos of Compton, California to become world-renowned tennis champions.  His methods are unconventional.  He doesn’t listen to the experts and doesn’t have his daughters follow the standard path, but it worked out for them as they are the premier stars of tennis.  I’m not sure how accurate the story is, but most scenes did match with what I’ve heard – and Venus and Serena served as producers for the film.  It was an entertaining movie that kept my attention and was well worth my time!

Library Link: King Richard (DVD) 


No comments:

Post a Comment