Joker

Rated R
2 hours 2 minutes
Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert De Niro

I wanted to watch this one because I’d heard how good Joaquin Phoenix was in the role of Joker.  “Good” doesn’t even begin to describe it – I thought he was AMAZING.  He completely embodied the character and I felt every emotion he was going through!  I’ve heard critics either saying that the film glorifies killing or that it was a case study of what happens when someone is beaten down by society and forgotten by the world.  It was intense, some parts were disturbing, and it was almost hard to watch at times.  But that’s also why I think it felt so powerful to me.  The movie needed to be like that to have an impact.  You see Arthur Fleck going downhill and finally crossing over to his Joker persona when he can’t handle what life is throwing at him anymore and it seems like this is the only way he is able to deal.  It’s depressing, and in a way, I felt sorry for him.  Everything is based in Gotham City and hasn’t forgotten its roots, but make no mistake – this is definitely about the Joker and can totally stand on its own.  And with some of his “strange” behavior over the years, I truly feel like Joaquin Phoenix was made to play this role!  I don’t think he could have done any better and he’s definitely the best Joker I’ve seen.

Library Link: Joker (DVD)


No comments:

Post a Comment