Life of the Party

Rated PG-13
1 hour 45 minutes
Starring: Melissa McCarthy, Matt Walsh

I used to like Melissa McCarthy alright, but it seems like I’ve enjoyed watching her less and less with each movie she’s been in.  But then I still watch her movies, hoping they’ll get better.  With this one, I’m glad I gave it a shot!  She plays a woman whose husband decides he wants a divorce after a long marriage and she’s left wondering what to do.  Instead of her life being “over,” she decides to go back to college and get her degree – at the same college her daughter is attending.  I was glad it wasn’t just her acting stupid trying to get laughs and embarrassing her daughter over and over the whole movie.  Her daughter and her friends actually realized how much she knew about “life” and accepted her as one of their own, allowing her to relive her college days a little.  It wasn’t very serious, wasn’t the funniest movie, and wasn’t very realistic, but it all made for a nice story.  I hope McCarthy stays on this path, rather than just over-the-top stupidity like she’d been doing.

Library Link: Life of the Party (DVD)


No comments:

Post a Comment